Tuesday, April 26, 2011

GW Console - for Linux!

Tay Kratzer has a free tool out, something we've been needing for a while.  A nice little console tool for you GroupWise admins still new to Linux (like me!).  Gert has this link posted on his Twitter and at GWCheck site as well.

You can find the tool at: http://sites.google.com/site/tiarrallc/

I'm hoping to show it off at the Lunch-n-Learn coming up May 13th at my new company's offices.

Also, if you've been hearing FUD (pay attention West MI K-12 districts) about the demise of GroupWise it's just that - FUD.  Some local "partners" have been calling Novell customers saying they (the "partner") haven't heard anything from Novell about the buy out and are certain of GroupWise's imminent demise.

That's not exactly true.  We - as partners and customers - HAVE heard from Novell and Attachmate that both companies are dedicated to the future of GroupWise.  Ascot is still being worked on and is currently looking for beta sites.  The folks doing the calling are looking to improve their bottom-line by getting you to migrate to soemthing else.

So, please, ignore the FUD.  Make your decision to stay or migrate on sound information.  I hate seeing money wasted on unnecessary migrations.  I'm not against change, in fact there's some really cool stuff out there that's new and exciting - and not Novell owned - that I'd love to get my hands on.  But I'm not going to tell you to migrate to it just because I think it's cool.  In fact I won't tell you how to run your IT shop.  It's not my shop and it's not my decision.  I will however offer my opinion if you ask it, and it will be unbiased and based on my decades of experience in the field not on what makes my pocketbook fatter.

I'm done...anyone else need the soapbox?

No comments:

Post a Comment