Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Cannot create NSS volume on OES2 Linux box

This was one of the aggravating issues I ran into over this past Summer/Fall.  It was my own fault, but trying to find a solution was not easy.

Here's the assorted searches I performed:

  • cannot install an NSS volume to eDirectory
  • ERROR: NSS Admin Failed Creating Edirectory Objects
  • Error -676 When Trying To Create A Pool Or Volume via NSSMU or iManager
  • cannot create NSS volume on OES2 Linux on VMWare
This happens more often than I care to admit on virtual servers.

If you have cloned the server in question from another server - for instance using VMWare templates - you may be using the same NSS admin name as the orginally created server. This is the real issue. It's not a VMWare issue and it's not really an OES2 Linux issue, it's a doh!, slap my forehead issue.

Here's how to fix it:

  1. Open up a terminal window
  2. Type the command "id novlxregd" and confirm that the nssadmin name is wrong
  3. Go into Yast | OES Install and Configuation. 
  4. "Enable" reconfiguration under the NSS section. 
  5. If the name doesn't match your server name, i.e. cn=server2admin,o=novell if the server with the issue is named server2, simply run through the NSS configuration after changing the name to the corrected name
  6. Let it finish and the type the "id novlxregd" again and you should see the correct response now.

I ran into this after having used a template for a multiple server migration for a customer. First one that I'd missed this on, but it wasn't my last.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry, but how does running:
    id novlxregd
    tell you the name of the nss admin? All it does is give you the UID, GID and groups of that user.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, this was written so long ago that I don't remember where it showed the nss admin. I'll see if I can find some old screenshots on my external drive for you.

      Delete