Wednesday, January 27, 2010

GroupWise@Home - Project is alive and well!

Since our end-users have been accustomed to being given the GW client to use at home, we've been looking at alternative solutions given the looming February 1 date for needing maintennance to access patches, et.al.  We are not legally allowed to redistrubute the Novell software out of our network environment (something that seemd to be overlooked prior to my arrival).   And apparently WebAccess won't be "good enough".

While sorting through ngwlist posts I had run across a question regarding GroupWise@Home, something that began in Howard Tayler's days as PM of GW.  I'm happy to say it's alive and well and I'll be playing with the client on my personal machines as I test out some potential options (besides the M$ option).

You can get more details on GroupWise@Home at www.mygwmail.net.  The download is free of charge, you just have to go through a wonderfully short registration page and agree to the T's & C's.

One word of caution: pay close attention to the following caveat from their page:

PLEASE NOTE: GroupWise @ Home can NOT be installed on a computer on which a copy of any other GroupWise version is already installed. Make sure to completely un-install any previous version of GroupWise. Please be aware that in the GroupWise @ Home version certain features for corporate usage have been disabled - therefore it can NOT be used to connect to a corporate GroupWise environment.

I'll keep you all posted (whoever you all are) as I play with this new client. I've seen it before at GWAVACon but had forgotten all about it.  You can also download Thunderbird from this site.

Big sponsors of GroupWise@Home include many of my favorites, including GWAVA, MessagingArchitects, BlackBerry, Novell, Omni, SkyPro, and GroupLink.  (I have no idea who TDP is at this point, but the rest I know fairly well).

I've enjoyed ThunderBird for a few years now, but am looking forward to seeing what I can do with GroupWise@Home.  Maybe I can even get my mom moved to it; poor Mom, hates computers and all of her kids are in the industry.  We love her though...she makes the BEST quilts.

No comments:

Post a Comment