Monday, June 21, 2010

Bit by the obvious

I hate it when I spend hours troubleshooting something that's right under my nose and should be "obvious" to me.  Two hours wasted tracking down an error that I should have hit on right away.  Instead I discovered that there's only 2 references to the error when googled and one of them wasn't obviously resolved either.  So I'll document it here in hopes that someone else may find it in a Google search and I'll have saved them some time.

The odd part is that this popped up in my newly rebuilt and clean testbed.  All virtual servers, some on OES-Linux, some on SLES 10, and some on NetWare 6.5.  (I need a complex test bed to mirror what we're doing in production).  Opening up ConsoleOne to get at the GWIA object - all so I could add on an HTTP user name and password - gave me the following error:

Unable to locate the file "\/wpgate/gwia/gwac.dc".
Full administration for the gateway will not be available until installation is complete.

A search of the Novell Knowledgebase turned up nothing on this error, there's one reference to it in the forums, which I'll have to go post a response to as well.

The cause of this error?  The domain object (not the MTA) had the UNC path set to a "\".  Where it picked this up from I have no idea as I created the domain during a fresh, new install of GW 8.01 HP1.  But there it was, as shown below, all mucked up.  Switch that to /mail/grpwise (my domain path in my testbed) and life is all groovy again.


Sorry for the sloppy graphic, but I don't have screen capture software loaded on the virtual boxes.  Usually I have these odd issues in the production systems, not the test.  Odd, but a fun one to deal with on a Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. As you said, there is no TID on this so it saved me a lot of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it saved you from much teeth gnashing and hair pulling. :)

    ReplyDelete