Monday, March 21, 2011

GroupWise IMAP error of NO LOGIN - fixed!

I was called in to help a customer who's environment is all new to me.  They were having issues with migrating email via IMAP from GroupWise to Google Apps.  They kept getting an authentication error whenever they tried for two sites.  The rest of their post offices went fine, it was just these two (with different admins) having the issue.

After digging around in their system for awhile and not seeing anything that jumped out at me, I was given access to an email account that I could use to test with.  I reset the GroupWise password and tried to telnet in.  (The story about telnetting from XP is another story...).  Each time I could telnet to port 143 okay, but received the following error:

NO LOGIN GroupWise Login Failed
and on occassion I'd get this:
BAD LOGIN

No error number and nothing more descriptive than that message in the GWIA either.  I scratched my head a bit, did much Google and Knowledgebase searching to no avail.  I checked the post office links and found they were using UNC, changed that to IP and still no go.  I unchecked LDAP and checked eDirectory and still no go, so I tried POP3.   Back to the Post Office Links and finally something popped at me, the GWIA was set to being Direct only.  I set it to C/S and Direct and tried POP3 again.  This time POP3 errored out, but with a more useful error that led me to trying out WebAccess.  WebAccess popped a similar error which was quickly resolved by change the eDirectory password for the user and then both POP3 and WebAccess worked.  IMAP however, still refused to work. 

I verified that GWIA didn't have LDAP service enabled, because the POA already had it enabled.  IMAP and POP3 were both enabled on GWIA and not on the POA - just as they should be.  No help there.  The Security Tab in the POA had the "Source" of the password set to LDAP, I toggled it to eDirectory and still no go, so I set it back to LDAP.

Then I ran across a very old TID about Default Class of Service, only it was referring to POP3 not IMAP.  I figured it couldn't hurt to check it out, and there was the final piece of the puzzle.  IMAP had been set to Prevent access.  I switched that to Allow access and tried again.  Happy, happy, joy, joy!  It worked!  I went back through all the previous changes setting them to their original configuration - except for Default Class of Service and now I received that dreaded NO LOGIN erro, but this time it was delayed, as if it was trying to authenticate.  I changed the Post Office Links back from Direct Only to C/S and Direct and things worked again.

So final changes were this:
  1. Change Default Class of Service to Allow Access for IMAP4
  2. Change Post Office Links to C/S and Direct
Hope this helps someone!

No comments:

Post a Comment