Thursday, February 4, 2010

Mac GroupWise 8 cilent oddities

Clarification:  I don't have a Mac and I'm not allowed to touch the Macs at work, so I can only relay this info 3rd hand.

First issue was when one of our TIS folks tried to use the GW 8.0.1 HP1 client on his home machine, using his DSL connection, which would cause the client to continually crash.  Barely open, then shut down.  No errors, no warnings.  He tried one of our "vanilla" Macbooks as well, same result.  But no one else was having this issue, and the ones who were successful and happy with the Mac client had a mix of cable and DSL connections.

Warp speed to a few weeks later.  TIS guy figures out something is hosed in his .novell folder (something he didn't have prior to GW 8).  Gets rid of that folder, reinstalls GW 8 client, and voila! it works fine.

So, if Mac client for GW 8 won't work for you, try whacking that .novell folder/file/whatever and reinstall GW8 from a good source.

Second Issue had to do with the installer we created.  Same TIS guy (he's kind of our go-to-guy for Macs) installs using our installer and can never get the client to open.  But this time we get an error about Java.  A really odd error that I'm trying to recover from my deleted messages to show you.

But in the meantime, while I search through my mailbox, the fix is this.  Un-install the client, and reinstall using the GW8 client install from Novell and it will work fine.  Then go back and fix your Mac installer..I wasn't privy to that exact information, but you get the drift.

No comments:

Post a Comment