Wednesday, April 21, 2010

GWCheck

This all actually started yesterday with an email asking how to go about finding out the mailbox sizes on a GroupWise post office.  It evolved to me doing a quick search to remind myself of where GWCheck stores it's logs by default.  And I thought, "hey, I should probably put this on the blog".  So I am.

First off, if you're not familiar with GWCheck, it's a tool for GroupWise.  It does lots of stuff, but one of the coolest things it does is a Mailbox Statistics check.  It can tell you what each users mailbox size is, how many items they have in their Inbox, Sent, and Trash folders.  It also lists their FIDs (handy to have should you accidentally delete someone) and any quota you may have on it.  Which is exactly the information my friend was needing.

The problem was he wasn't sure where the log was stuffed.  Luckily, he already had himself setup as an admin so he got the log file via email.  But in case you're not so lucky, check in the /wpcsout/ofs directory under your post office directory. - i.e. /postofc/wpcsouts/ofs  (adjust slashes as needed for NetWare/Linux/Windows).

Once you have the log file you use this cool little parsing tool called GWMbSize (available at http://www.anykeyonline.nl/documents/31.html).  It will parse the log and give you a handy CSV that you can import into a spreadsheet and sort as need be.  Slicker than snot and fairly quick and easy.  I use this tool every Monday to catch users who've been created with no quota, users over their limits, or even changes to quotas that were made without following proper procedures.

Another thing I have GWCheck do is weekly maintenance on all my POAs.  I'll post my defacto-standard for those checks at a later date though.

1 comment:

  1. Do you know if there is a tool like this for groupwise 2012? as it looks like gwmbsize does not work with the latest version of groupwise :(

    ReplyDelete