Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mini's vs. iPads

I'm not sure if you can actually compare the two as they have different target audiences and uses.  Several friends already have iPads, with the majority extolling their virtues.  Most are already Apple fans.  Before you put on your judging hat, you should know that I've been an Apple fan since the Apple IIe - with Drol (my all time favorite game that I never beat).

I just don't totally get the iPad thing.  Of course, I don't get the whole Kindle/eReader stuff either as I like to feel my books in my hands.  If I'm going to pay that much for a device it better be able to do everything I need a comparably priced piece of equipment to do.  And from what I can tell I'd use an iPad for, my minis fit the bill just fine at about 1/2 the cost.  (Okay, so I've only paid for one, but I'm using the average retail price here as a comparison).

My minis already have wireless NICs on-board so I can connect to any available wireless in range that's available (i.e. either open or I have the key for), so I don't need or want to spend extra money getting to a 3G system.  If I'm that desparate my BlackBerry will do in a pinch...and there's nothing about IT that I am that desparate for any more.  I don't do much with pictures (I hate having my photo taken), and I can do without video entertainment for long stretches of time.  I already get email on my BlackBerry which already makes work too readily accessible to me.  So, I don't get it.  For those of you that do, I'm happy for you.  It looks like a cool toy.

Yes, I've had my hands on one and still don't get it.  And while I have 2 iPODs I still don't get the draw of them either.  I have stereos in my car, my office, and at home, CDs that can be played in them, and easily received free radio channels. I was never into boom boxes and never fully utilized my Sony Walkmans either.  I do like my Shuffle though as it makes working out a bit easier and I can blast my ears with my preferred tunes over what's normally playing in the fieldhouse I work out in.  Maybe I'm just getting old, or maybe I've just been in IT too long to get excited about new hardware as often.

I must admit, I wasn't sure what all I'd use a mini for either, but I had more of an idea than I do with an iPad.  My problem with the minis was not having a CD/DVD drive and the added cost when they first came out brought the total cost of a mini too close to what I'd paid for my Toshiba laptop.  But since winning my HP from Novell and having it run SLED I'm won over.  They're great for traveling, but definitely not a laptop or desktop replacement.

Maybe there's an iPad user out there that can explain practical uses to me other than "it's cool, you can play music, or you can read books on it".  Anyone?  Bueller...Bueller?

No comments:

Post a Comment