Sunday, March 21, 2010

BrainShare 2010 - Day #1

Okay, so technically I've been in Salt Lake since Friday, but this IS officially Day 1 of BrainShare.  And I've been having great luck with running into people!

Hit the GWAVA Movie - good choice Richard! - then hit the GWAVA VIP Party after.  Again, wonderful choices in food - love, love, love! the chocolate cake at the Marriott.  Although, you can rarely go wrong with chocolate cake.  Rhonda had a chance to tease me after the movie, she and Patrick and Craig headed off for food after the movie while Rusty, Brian and I headed to the party for the free food.  I am a mooch after all.

I did miss a chance to say hello to Howard Tayler - creator of Scholock Mercenary and GWAVA Man who I rarely get to see these days.  He was at the GWAVA movie helping throw out t-shirts and such. Hoping to catch him at Penguicon later this year if I can't catch him here.

Did get to see Christel's hat, it's cooler than mine (mine's very girlie and not at all like me), and Holly made it in as well.  Christel got out of Chicago just in time.  Brian and Dan (a new acquaintance from Toronto) both got stuck in Chicago last night due to weather.  I ran into Kathryn on the way out of the movie and totally forgot to ask if she'd need to borrow my Dell mini.  Had a senior moment, the first of many this week I suspect.

I missed catching Norm at the GWAVA Party, but did get to see Jimmy, and Teresa Kratzer, and Roger Dills (a virtual WMNUG member).  Phil and Matt arrived, and then Jose showed up much to my surprise!   So we have a bigger contingent from WMNUG than I expected.

Best luck was running into John Dragoon, and Ken Muir at the GWAVA party.  Where, as usual, I rudely interrupted their conversations to say hello and thank you.   And then I had the great pleasure of running into Ron Hovsepian outside of the Marriott where I again rudely interrupted a conversation (y'all know I mouthy, right?) and Rusty and I absconded with a few minutes of his time.  Ron agrees with me that Rusty's very cool wife, Karen, is a saint.

I know there are people who may not agree with me, but I've always felt that Ron and John make a great team.  I love these guys!  They're genuinely nice, they put up with me (which says a lot about how tolerant they are), and they always stop to listen to people at BrainShare.  When was the last time Bill Gates or any of the MS execs showed up and actually talked and listened to customers at TechNet?  (Do I have that name correct?  Here it is Sunday and I'm already a bit brain-fried).

I'm really liking this smaller format so far.  Things are closer in and people are talking more and sharing more already.  More people seem to be going out of their way to introduce themselves and step out of their comfort zones to ask questions and just talk.  For example, on the way back to the hotel I ran into 2 very nice folks from Montana (who's names I forgot to ask) that are having issues with their migration.  I asked about their NUI group (they dont' have one) and offered to give them my business card next time I see them so I can get them connected to this blog, and to Norm as well.  (Again, senior moment forgot to tell them my name).

So, while I'm sunburned and tired, I'm still geeked enough to pull out my beloved little mini and post to this blog (although I'm not much of a blogger).  We miss those of you who couldn't make it this year, and I'm very thankful I did manage to make it with the help of some very supportive organizations. 

The Novell Community ROCKS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment