Monday, March 29, 2010

Traveling with Minis

Everyone knows I love the mini I won from Novell.  But I had no idea how nice it would be to travel with 2 minis.  I took my HP mini from Novell with SLED 11 and my Dell mini with Windows 7 on it to BrainShare last week.  Not only do the two together weigh less than my big Dell laptop, but having 2 OSes readily on hand was a big advantage.  Especially when you consider the SLED 11 boots so much faster.

I'd decided to bring both for a couple of reasons.  First and foremost, my portable DVD won't work with Linux and if I wanted to watch DVDs I was out of luck.  Secondly, I was taking several of Laura's classes and wasn't looking forward to whatever mayhem she may wreak on my SLED mini.  I didn't care about my Dell mini as I have restore DVDs and have no data on it.

Getting them through TSA was faster than I expected - it took them longer to check my CPAP out - and they both fit in one bin, taking me about the same amount of time to pull out and put back in my case as my big guns do.

The best part was I had my "best of breed" tools on my SLED and everything that I might need via Windows all on hand.  I could even VPN into work; not that I would have as I was on vacation.

All in all, I'm really happy that I have minis now.  I'd been curious as to what it would be like to have them and now I know.  They're great to travel with and without all of the weight and extras I don't need when traveling.  Even the power bricks are lighter!

So, thank you again Novell for putting on the contest that I won the mini from, and thanks to my Dell rep who let me mooch the Inspiron mini.  All in all, good stuff.

And stay tuned.  Over the next few days I'll be posting some GroupWise stuff for routine maintenance tasks and administration.

No comments:

Post a Comment