Thursday, March 25, 2010

BrainShare 2010 - Last Day

I'm torn...it's the last day.  I'm happy to be going home to my sweet hubby and the critters.  But it's like the last day at summer camp.  Saying goodbye to friends that I may or may not get to see next year.  Thank God for Facebook!

Anyway, it was still a long day.  Started with PartnerNet Breakfast where I ran into Brit, and didn't win anything, but got some good info.  Food was great as always.  Then it was off to a 9:00 SSH class about what you do/don't want to do with SSH.

Then it was Laura's last class, her last of this year's BrainShare as well.  Laura, being her usual sweet self, allowed Rusty to interview her for his Atomic Super Geek site, and submitted to photos with me to make Chad happy.  I didn't have any more classes after that so I picked up my BrainShare survey prize and floated around talking to folks and milling around IT Central.

I ran into several Novell execs in my travels this afternoon, including John Dragoon who was laughing at Deal or No Deal.  He's a fun guy.  All asked how I'd like the event, which of course is awesome, needed, and everyone is thankful it is back.  I also had chance to chat with Dave Cutler, who hasn't yet learned to run when I'm coming.  Let's just say, changes are being considered in Novell Support and it's all good.

Had a blast with Rusty, Brian, and Jonathon as we tried to win more stuff (I didn't win any vendor prizes).   My friend Dennis was picked for the Super Deal or No Deal - he didn't win the car, but was a good sport and went for broke, and upon winning $10, ended up with a MacPro!  GroupLink never disappoints.  We did a few rounds of GroupLink's Deal or No Deal game.  As I put it, I was "parking my butt" until the 2:30 drawing for the Kindle, which I'm happy to say Christel won. There were lots of woo-hoo's from those that know her. Way to rack up the prizes NGWList!  Jonathon got picked for Deal or No Deal and won a pair of purple ear buds, which of course I had to comment on, and he gave them to me - so I did win after all.   Patrick and Rhonda stopped by the GroupLink booth too, where I learned Rhonda won an HP mini from HP.  So some of my lucky streak did rub off on others.

Jonathon hadn't gotten the cool USB drives yet, so I ran around and mooched an extra of each for him and picked up Kaspersky CDs for Brian, Jonathon, and myself.  I had gone to HP because the Novell folks were out, and got one of the green Novell ones there.  Then I found a virtualzation one, and on my way back to GroupLink's booth I was flagged down by HP as they'd found more and I ended up with a handful more.  I gave 1 each to Casey Trujillo at GroupLink and Tay Kratzer at GWAVA - they've both been good to me, the least I can do is share a spiff I didn't even have to mooch.

I ran around to several booths saying good bye to friends that I won't see again for some time, and then it was time for the Keynote.  If you have a chance, watch the videos...there's some really good demos.  Also, drum roll please....Roger Dills from Ohio (yes, we of WMNUG know him) won one of the HP mini's at the Keynote!  WAY COOL!!!  I woo-hoo'd for him too.

On the way out of there I ran into Brad, Kathryn, Tim and Scott Campbell.  Kathryn hadn't gotten one of the mini drives so I dug in my bag and found one for her.  Tim had scored the last 2 MCNE polo shirts and I shamelessly mooched one off of him.  I'll have to send him cookies, he hooked me up with 2 goodies: the shirt and a Red Novell USB drive with a really cool driver utility for ZCM.

When I get home, don't expect any spiffs.  I already handed out the "extras" I had to folks at BrainShare that had been too busy to pick some up.  Even the BrainShare 2009 badge holders. I gave a GWAVA mouse to Kumar, who works with Rusty and hadn't gotten one yet, Brian, and I can't remember who else, but I'd started out with 4 and am down to 1.

So, here I am, looking at the stack of things yet to be packed and wondering how in the world I'm going to handle getting up at 3:30am to catch my 4:00am shuttle to the airport.  Ugh...too early.

Goodbye BrainShare, until 2011!  And for those lucky enough to attend BrainShare in Amsterdam, enjoy!  Thanks Ron and John for helping bring it back, and big thanks to Mike Morgan and the rest of the BrainShare crew, and the BrainShare Advisory Board for all the hard work it takes to pull off another awesome BrainShare.

No comments:

Post a Comment